Wednesday, November 14, 2007

melander.catchup()

For part of this blog, I hope to be able to capture a unique opportunity I have in the realms of geek knowledge. I'm a Java/web programmer who worked for IBM for nine years. I recently accepted a job with SPSS working with Microsoft SharePoint--a product about which I knew nothing when I started the application process. Why would they hire me? Good question. I don't know the answer. :-)

Anyway, since I interviewed for the job, I've been doing research on Microsoft technologies, considering that I have no experience with anything but Windows and the Office end-user suite and I'm going to have to use these technologies in my new job.

What I'm discovering is quite fascinating. It isn't that MS technologies are so terrible or so wonderful--they seem to be much as I imagined them, with strengths and weaknesses just like everything else--but it's more about learning about the Microsoft paradigm and how it differs so drastically from what I'm used to. More on this later.

I would also like to talk about software and websites I've found. There's a lot of great stuff out there I know I couldn't live with out--or, at least, I wouldn't want to try. There's also a lot of sad stuff out there, too.

Anyway, I'm a Java geek in a strange land, and this is all about my journeys.

1 comment:

Brain said...

I like that geek-friendly title format. Um. Also, "melandersoft.blogspot" makes me wonder if there's a site called "softspot.com" I'm sure if there is, it's NSFW.

Also, the little word verification quizzes confuse me, because so far none of them have been actual words.