Friday, January 11, 2008

isoskata, heteromera

Categorize this one under handy utilities. (Personally, I'm putting it under the default (and only) category, which is "All Posts.") If you're a computer tweak-thumper and/or a bit torrent maniac, you've probably run into an ISO file or two in your time. If you aren't or haven't, an ISO file (with the extension ".iso") basically represents a CD or DVD--or what is also known as an image.

The first time I encountered an ISO file was after I had downloaded a very boss torrent--one I was very excited about finding, much less downloading (which, of course, since it was rare, took about three days). When I opened the download, I found an ISO file. After a bit of a freak-out, I hit Google to find out what the hell this thing was and what software I needed to deal with it. Early research suggested that I should burn it to disc with an optical disc authoring application.

As an official card-carrying geek (OCCG), I had to resist. Physical media? Who uses that anymore? ("I question your technology!") I mean, think about it. I've got a file on my hard drive, and I'm supposed to burn to CD so I can make it accessible to my hard drive? It's already on my freaking hard drive, for Pete's sake!

Fortunately, I found DAEMON Tools Lite. This lovely little (and free!) application lets you access an ISO file like it was a disc in an optical media drive. (In tech lingo, the process is called "mounting a drive," but since both Brain and I work in this blog, it's naturally a loaded (ahem!) term and probably best avoided.) Not only is the app cool, I'm saving the cost of a CD-R disk, a whole $0.37!

So now you can use your ISO file. But, have you ever wondered where ISO files come from in the first place? (Maybe your parents didn't have that little talk with you.) Well, the answer is an application like ImgBurn. This free app creates an ISO file from a CD or DVD, as you've probably guessed. It will also burn files and images to disc.

Okay, this is all very straightforward, but think about what you can do if you throw in an external hard drive and some blank optical media.

Sick of having to deal with all the software boxes, cases, and sleeves? Can't find your installation media when you want it? Create an online software library and put the discs away. (Make sure you write down the license keys first.) Keep installing the same three small applications over and over? Rip the discs to ISO files, burn the ISOs to a disc (or copy them to a USB thumb drive), throw it in your laptop bag, and use DAEMON Tools to mount the images whenever you need them.

I use these tools to manage my installation media, but you could probably use them for other purposes--though, I would be surprised if there aren't any gotchas with copyrighted stuff. I don't know... I just like the idea of being able to create virtual physical media and physical virtual media. (Hey, if it ain't baroque, don't fix it!)

No comments: